Saturday, June 29, 2013

Russian Peacock (3D Origami)


Russian Peacock (3D Origami) - Created By Denierim !

Author's Description

Started: April 20, 2012
Finished: April 22, 2012
Pieces: 1299
Time spent: about 20 hours + several hours for the glue to dry...

I did not design this origami, nor can I take all the credit for it. I got the instructions from this website: [link] I did a few changes to the original design, mainly on the neck. I wasn't that fond of the thick neck so I made it thinner. 

This is the second most frustrating 3D origami creation I've made. It took forever, and thanks to the fact I don't have a hot glue gun, it took forever to actually glue the tail together with the body. And yes, the use of glue is actually required with this model. I was overall worried from the start that this wouldn't come together. The dark green paper I used as the base is really really REALLY thin, half thinner than the rest of the papers, and I was sure the whole model would collapse as soon as I got it together.

I'm still waiting for the glue to fully dry before I can finish this piece. It still needs a "nest" or a pedestal for it to stand. As seen in the picture, the body is higher than the lowest parts of the tail. But I'll get to that later. Right now I just wanted a picture in case the whole thing fell apart after all. The tail is extremely fragile because of the thin paper...

3D origami is basically folding small pieces of paper into triangles that fit together to form this rather strong structure. If you're interested, I suggest you find some beginners tutorials on Youtube. Trust me, there's a lot of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment